Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog 8: Static



Since my brother was on playing COD on the TV downstairs for hours already, I decided to watch a DVD on my grandma's old TV that we had upstairs.  It is a lot smaller than the one currently being fried by the continuous Call of Duty tweaking but it would do for watching a short movie.  When I turned on the TV I noticed that the arms of my hair were attracted to the TV screen (I put my head near the TV so that you can see the attraction better).  I immediately thought of how a balloon, when rubbed across someones head will also make one's hair stand up due to static electricity.  Because I did not know the reason behind this attraction, I used Google to discover that the screen is bombarded with electrically charged particles.  It makes sense now that your arms hairs, which are neutral, are attracted to the charged screen because the screen is trying to go back to neutral by giving off its electrons to your arm hairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment